Stay Safe Using Your Mobile
With the uprising in crime and violence in our country, it helps to be aware of your surroundings, no matter where you are. Whether you have a snazzy budget device or pristine premium mobile, it can serve as an extremely useful tool when staying safe.
Here are 5 tips on how you can use your mobile phone to stay safe:
- Use the emergency mode on your mobile device: Most devices have an emergency mode that allows you to share your location via SMS, make an emergency call, utilise your torch or emergency alarm. On your Samsung device: hold down your power button and tap on the emergency mode option, once enabled, your screen switches to monochrome and a limited number of apps are accessible. Samsung emergency mode offers: Torch, share my location, emergency alarm, your internet browser and your phone menu. It also allows you to make an emergency call to your local authorities for help. On your Huawei device: Access your settings – Security and Privacy – Emergency SOS and add your emergency contact. Once added and enabled you will simply need to press the power button 5 times, rapidly, to make an emergency call. You can use the SOS emergency option on an iPhone 8/8S and X by holding down the power button and one of the volume buttons for 3 seconds which allows you to make a call to the emergency contact of your service provider. Unfortunately, this option does not work on iPhones older than the iPhone 8.
- Share your IMEI number with your close friends and family: Your IMEI number can be used to track your mobile by the police. In the case of missing persons, your friends and family can provide this number to police to track your phone’s location. You can get your IMEI number by simply dialing: *#06# on your phone. Don’t forget to share this number with trusted friends and family.
- Share your trip if you are utilizing Uber or app-based transportation: Let your close ones track your traveling arrangements by enabling tracking on your app. You can enable the “Trusted Contacts” feature on your Uber app by accessing your settings and adding the details of your trusted contacts. You can add up to 5 contacts and they will receive notifications of your trips.
- Sign up for a family tracking app like Life360 or even enable “location sharing” on your Google Maps to keep your loved ones in the loop about your whereabouts.
- While we use our mobiles in most situations, we should have general awareness of our surroundings while using our devices. Keep your mobile close while not actively using it when walking in remote or depopulated areas. Connect your device to your car stereo via Bluetooth and keep your phone out of sight during peak hour traffic or traffic lights to prevent smash and grab scenarios.