What is a 5G network?
The concept of mobile data has been revolutionary in the eyes of mobile phone users everywhere over the years, from the development of 1G technology in the 1970’s! The year 2020 has seen the introduction to the 5G network!
Older generations of technology have allowed the implementations of analog voice calls to digital voices calls and mobile data that allows us to seamlessly browse the internet on mobile devices provided you’re within areas that are covered by the various networks. 1G to 3G technology brought forth these futuristic abilities and we’ve seen the growth of broadband internet through 4G technology over the last decade.
4G is utilised when connecting to more than just mobiles, implemented on a more diverse scale (think home appliances); used as an alternate internet connection option for ADSL and Fibre where applicable. This spelled good news for customers that don’t require fixed internet solutions. 5G technology betters the benefits of 4G through various technical improvements and through the use of OFDM encoding which allows for lower latency and improved flexibility.
Here are some of the amazing benefits:
- 5G technology will enable your devices to perform at its optimum; giving you faster and more reliable speeds!
- Connect your devices at record speeds without waisting time and stream or download without any pause in between!
- 5G offers ridiculously low latency which is great if you want to connect many devices at the same time!
- If you have ever experienced frustration or difficulty with remote tech or cloud storage you can consider it to be a thing of the past!
- With 5G technology you can experience speeds of anything between 150-200Mbps compared to the average 25-35Mbps you experience on 4G.
- 5G technology also offers improved security through its network thanks to its improved encoding.
Like all wireless technologies, you need to ensure that your area is 5G covered and that your devices are equipped to receive this technology. When applying for a new contract, your SIM card will be enabled and you’ll be 5G ready!
With the launch of 5G in South Africa earlier this year, you can grab a device that is 5G equipped! Here are some of the choices:
- Huawei P40 Flagship options
- Samsung S20 Flagship options
- LG V50 ThinQ
Many providers offer 5G support on these devices and all you have to do is mention that you will be using 5G to have your SIM card equipped too.
We’re excited to see the growth and implementation of 5G technology in the country.