Are you late to the Instagram party?
Did you know that Instagram has a whopping 3 907 000 users in South Africa alone? Well if you’re unsure how Instagram works and how to get setup; we’re here to help you!
Instagram is a social media app that provides a platform for users to share rich content in the form of images and videos. Commonly referred to as “IG” or “Insta”, the Facebook owned platform took off back in 2010, a mere 9 years ago and rose to app stardom joining the ranks of Facebook and Google owned apps like YouTube and Gmail; becoming one of the most used apps in the world gaining a billion users since May 2019!
Here’s what you can do on the app:
- Post images and short videos onto your profile grid. Video lengths are limited to 60 seconds on grid posts
- Post temporary images/videos on Instagram stories. 15 seconds is the video time limit on your stories. If your video is longer, it will be split into multiple stories.
- You can use popular hashtags to get your images noticed and follow hashtags of topics you’re interested in.
- Live stories. Instagram live allow you to stream live on an Instagram story for up to 60 minutes.
- IGTV. IGTV allows you to post longer videos of up to 60 minutes and works as “TV” for the platform. You could create series of entertainment for your followers and post it to the platform.
As a user, you can “follow” other user accounts to keep up with their sharing and interact with them through the direct message option or comments on their posts. Double tapping on an image in feed allows you to “like” another user’s picture.
Before we get started, here are a few things you need to know:
- Because the app works mainly with rich imagery, you need to be aware of the data implications. It can become costly on the go and we encourage updates and browsing while connected to a Wi-Fi network or great mobile data package with us.
- You can opt to have a private or public account. Private accounts cannot be viewed unless an individual “follows” your account and you accept their follow request. Public accounts are viewable to anyone on the platform.
- Download the official Instagram app off your device store.
- Once downloaded and installed, open the app and click on the “create new account” option for iPhone or the “sign up with email or phone number” option for android. Sign up mindfully with your details and make sure you have access to these email accounts/contact number as you will receive a confirmation code to complete your sign up. Remember this also allows you to retrieve your account if you forget your password and need to get into your account again.
- You will also be prompted to create a username and password for your account.
- Once signed up, confirm your account through your email or input the confirmation code received.
Now that you’re all signed up, you can get clicking and capture great images for your grid.
Here are a few themes and types of photographs you can opt for:
- Group shots and selfies
- Flat lays
Ensure you use your phone camera at first and opt to edit your image over Instagram instead. This allows you to manipulate a copy of your original image and uses the high-quality image taken off your device instead of over Instagram. To enhance your images, utilise the in-app filters and edit options which allows you to choose from several filters and edit options that can change the whole look and feel of your original image. Once you’ve completed editing your image, you can write out a caption, tag people and add a location. Instagram uses this information to make your images more relevant on the search feed if your account is set to public.
You can find more simple tips and tricks on the blog that will help your Instagram photography talents. Read them here
Most followed accounts on Instagram:
Cristiano Ronaldo @cristiano
Ariana Grande @arianagrande
Selena Gomez @selenagomez
Dwayne Johnson @therock
Most used hashtags:
Follow us on our Instagram account: @mobilestoresa and tag us in your mobile related images! Also don’t forget to use the hashtag #mobilestoresa to get trending!