It's no secret that the world has gone digital, and so has shopping. If there's one thing we can be certain about, it's the Covid-driven push to an online-based lifestyle. Today, South Africans have more choices than ever before for online shopping; to a point where we even prefer adding to our online carts over having to visit a physical store. From groceries to clothing, here are online shopping apps for every South African to make the most of this rise in e-commerce.
Benefits of Using Online Shopping Apps in South Africa
But first, let's take a look at some of the many upsides of being able to shop from your couch. For one, the convenience and variety online shopping exposes you to. In this digital age, South African shoppers are turning to online shopping platforms to do all of their shopping for daily necessities.
- No more long queues or parking hassles. You can shop anytime, anywhere, with just a few clicks on your mobile devices.
- Ecommerce shopper experiences have an extensive range of products available across many different categories, you can get without stepping out of your home. Plus, there's more efficient inventory management which ensure the product availability at any given time.
- Apart from saving time and energy, purchasing online often comes with discounts and deals that increase consumer spending power. Plus, there's no need to worry about carrying cash around - everything is paid securely through encrypted transactions within these apps or platforms.
- The detailed product information on-site further helps customers make informed decisions before buying anything.
Popular online shopping apps in South Africa
Ask any modern South Africa and they will tell you that online shopping is where its at. The ecommerce experience has been revolutionised by the rise of online shopping apps from our favourite retail stores. More and more South Africans are becoming e-shoppers and here's where they're doing it.
South Africa's most-loved online shopping site, Superbalist is the hub for everything fashion and home related. It offers an accessible style to people of all shapes, sizes and budgets. Superbalist stands out by having hundreds of brands to choose from and daily offers that save people hundreds of rands. For our fashionistas, everyday dressers and home space lovers, this is the app for you. Superbalist will have you and your home looking as fashionable and chic as you want without having to leave your home to hunt down the best deals on wardrobe and home essentials. It's the best of both worlds!
Praise be to whoever invented the CheckersSixty60 app. Now, the days of missing an ingredient for a meal or living with an empty pantry are long behind us. The CheckersSixty60 app came to the rescue and makes grocery shopping effortless with practically everything you'd find in-store on the app and just 60 minutes away from your door. This innovative next-generation functionality app is providing an unbeatable mobile shopping experience that's reliable and easy.
CheckersSixty60 is one of the online shopping apps every South African needs for two reasons:
1) you never have to worry about running out of something in your cupboard, and;
2) you know that if you do run out, you could have another one in less than an hour.
As suggested in the name, it's the place where you can take a lot for practically anything - from pet food and toys to home appliances, tools and more. Takealot.com holds the top spot as the most frequented e-commerce platform by South African e-shoppers. They offer the convenience of finding virtually anything you'd find in a retail store, plus great prices.
Takealot is an essential online shopping app for South Africans who want to get access to thousands of products for their home, health, and more. They're a reliable app with on-time delivery that rarely takes longer than their estimated time of arrival.
The Gumtree app is a game-changer for South Africans who love to shop online. With its new interface, the app is faster, easier and safer than ever before. Whether you're looking for a new set of wheels or your favourite brand of clothing, Gumtree has got you covered. The app makes it easy to search for exactly what you're looking for, with intuitive filters and navigation that let you find exactly what you want in no time. And best of all, it's completely free to use! So if you're keen to start shopping online, download the Gumtree app today and see for yourself why it's quickly become the go-to choice for savvy South African shoppers.
How to get and use online shopping apps
Since the introduction of these apps and platforms, the way South Africans do their shopping has changed dramatically. After embracing the online shopping world, 60% of South African internet users are also online shoppers. But, if you're new to online shopping sites, don't worry. We've got your back.
First, choose an app that fits what you're looking for. Then:
- Head over to Google Play Store or Apple's App Store on your mobile device.
- Type in the name of the desired ecommerce platform in the search bar.
- Select 'Install' for Android users or 'Get' for iOS users when it appears in the results.
- Once downloaded, open the app and sign up using the required details (if necessary).
- Browse through product information on-site until something catches your eye.
- Add items directly to your cart by clicking the 'Add To Cart' button, usually found below each item description.
- Proceed to checkout once you are satisfied with your selected products.
Can you trust online shopping apps?
Yes, the world of online shopping sites has exploded in South Africa. And yes, everybody is doing it. But can you trust them with your personal and payment information? Let's delve into this.
Many studies suggest that South African consumers love their online shopping experience. So, it seems these apps are doing something right. The question is, trust is especially important in the online shopping experience because you need that assurity that nobody will get access to your bank card information and other confidential information you may share online. Luckily, most legit ecommerce platforms in South Africa understand this and invest heavily in security protocols to protect user details.
Apps like Superbalist, Takealot, and CheckersSixty60 use high-level encryption methods to keep your personal and payment information secure during transactions. So, you can shop with peace of mind.
But what about online shopper pain points like not knowing whether the product is what you see in the picture? Well, most of these apps have user reviews to gain valuable insights into the product experience and any potential issues you may encounter while using it. So, always check out those reviews before clearing your cart.
These apps offer comprehensive product information on-site to further boost your product-selection confidence. This way, you know exactly what you're getting before purchasing. No surprises.
Special discounts and rewards from online shopping apps
Who doesn't love a good deal? In South Africa, online shoppers are being presented with a wealth of opportunities for great bargains. Why? Well, the competitive nature of ecommerce platforms has led to an abundance of special discounts and rewards programs available on these apps to ensure you vy for them over the next.
For example, instead of getting your sneakers from name brands, you'll want to check on Superbalist to see if they're running a promotion on them. Or even check Takealot to see if the toolkit you're looking for is cheaper there than on a big retailer's online shop.
How to get more bang for your buck
To be a savvy e-shopper, you need to keep an eye out for special offers and rewards programs to get the most bang for your buck. Beyond regular discounts, many online shopping sites offer loyalty programs that reward frequent shoppers with points or cashback options.
You can ensure you don't miss out on these by doing the following:
- Signing up for newsletters as they often come with a discount or emails notifying you of sales, upcoming promotions and more.
- Regularly checking product information on-site; some items may have hidden discounts attached.
- Downloading the shopping app to get notified every time they have a sale.
Start adding to cart!
The best deals and online shopping experience are ahead of you!
You only need a stable internet connection and a trusty device to get started. Luckily, we have an abundance of devices available for you at Mobile Store. Whether you're looking for a new phone, a modem, or a SIM-only deal, we've got you covered.