The concept of mobile data has been revolutionary in the eyes of mobile phone users everywhere over the years, right from the development of 1G technology in the 1970s! And most recently, the introduction of the 5G network has graced us!
Older generations of technology have allowed the implementation of analogue voice calls to digital voice calls and mobile data that allows us to seamlessly browse the internet on mobile devices provided we’re within areas that are covered by the various networks.
1G to 3G technology brought forth these futuristic abilities and we’ve seen the growth of broadband internet through 4G technology over the last decade. But what is 5G technology, how is it different from 4G and 3G, and how will you benefit from it? Let's find out!
5G technology: What it's all about
5G is the fifth generation of cellular technology that is currently being developed and implemented by mobile phone networks globally. It promises to offer much faster speeds, reduced latency and better reliability than 4G.
What this means for you as a user is that you will be able to do more with your mobile device than ever before! 5G will enable you to download movies and TV shows in seconds, stream live video with no buffering issues and even enjoy virtual reality experiences without any lag time.
In addition, 5G network technology will also provide better coverage than 4G as it uses higher frequency radio waves that can travel shorter distances. This means that more towers will be needed to provide full 5G coverage but it also means that you will get a stronger signal in more places.
5G speeds: How fast is it?
One of the most common questions people have about 5G is how fast it will be. The answer to this question is that 5G download speeds will be significantly faster than 4G speeds.
Industry experts say that 5G evolution will see speeds around 10 times faster than 4G speeds, which means that you will be able to download movies and TV shows in seconds and stream live video with no buffering issues.
How is 5G different from the 4G LTE network?
The main difference between 5G and 4G is the speed at which data can be transferred. 5G offers speeds that are around 10 times faster than 4G speeds, while 4G offers speeds that are around 10 times faster than 3G speeds.
In addition, 5G offers low latency through its cellular technology, which is the time it takes for data to travel from one point to another. This means that you will be able to enjoy virtual reality experiences without any lag time.
What are the benefits of 5G mobile networks?
Here are some of the amazing benefits:
- 5G wi-fi technology enables your devices to perform at their optimum; giving you faster and more reliable speeds!
- Connect your devices at record speeds without wasting time and stream or download without any pause in between!
- 5G offers lower latency which is great if you want to get multiple connected devices in one network!
- If you have ever experienced frustration or difficulty with remote tech or cloud storage, you can consider it to be a thing of the past!
- With 5G technology, you can experience speeds of anything between 150-200Mbps compared to the average 25-35Mbps you experience on 4G.
- 5G technology also offers improved security through its network thanks to its improved encoding.
- 5G comes with management features, such as network slicing, which is the ability to create multiple virtual networks on a single physical network. This will allow for better management of resources and improved security.
Like all wireless technologies, you need to ensure that your area is 5G covered and that your devices are equipped to receive this technology. When applying for a new contract, check that your SIM card is enabled, and you’ll be 5G ready!
With the launch of 5G in South Africa, you can now grab a device that is 5G equipped! Many providers offer 5G support on their devices and all you have to do is mentioned that you will be using 5G to have your SIM card equipped, too.
Mobile wireless technology: 3G vs. 4G vs. 5G
3G, 4G, and 5G are all wireless mobile technologies that allow you to get internet access on your mobile device.
3G was the first generation of mobile wireless technology and it offered speeds that were around 10 times slower than fixed broadband speeds.
4G is the second generation of mobile wireless technology and it offers speeds that are around 10 times faster than 3G speeds.
5G is the third generation of mobile wireless technology and it offers speeds that are around 10 times faster than 4G speeds. It also offers reduced latency, making live streaming and gaming far more enjoyable.
So, if you want the fastest possible speeds and the best possible experience, you should look for a 5G-enabled device and a 5G-compatible SIM card.
How does this change the Internet of Things (IoT)?
The Internet of Things (IoT) refers to the interconnectedness of physical devices and objects that are able to collect and exchange data.
5G technology will enable a whole new world of possibilities for the IoT as it offers reduced latency, which is the time it takes for data to travel from one point to another. This means that 5G-enabled devices will be able to communicate with each other in real-time without any delay.
This will enable a whole range of new applications and services such as autonomous vehicles, smart cities, and connected homes. So, if you are interested in the IoT, you should look for a 5G-enabled device as it will offer you the best possible experience.
5G home internet service: Is it worth it?
If you live in an area that is 5G covered, you may be considering getting a 5G home internet service.
Here are some things to consider; 5G:
- Services are still very new, and they are not widely available yet.
- Speeds are significantly faster than 4G speeds, which means that you will be able to download movies and TV shows in seconds and stream live video with no buffering issues.
- Wireless networks may be more expensive than 4G home internet services.
- Cellular network capacity may offer reduced latency. This means that you will be able to enjoy virtual reality experiences without any lag time.
- It can also change the way we work and stay connected online, giving us more access to enhanced videos, Augmented Reality and so much more. So, if you live in an area that is 5G covered and you want the fastest possible speeds, a 5G home internet service may be worth considering.
Get access to 5G connectivity and services with Mobile Store
Finding it hard to get access to 5G connectivity and services? Mobile Store can help you out! We are an authorised online reseller for Vodacom, Telkom and MTN, which means that we can offer you the latest mobile deals across various networks.
Whether you are looking for a new contract or an upgrade, we can get it to you quickly and efficiently. All of our offers are available for a limited period only, as we like to keep our specials as current as possible.
We have devices that are 5G enabled and our SIM cards are 5G compatible too, so you can enjoy the fastest possible speeds and the best possible experience with Mobile Store!
Visit our deals page or speak to one of our experts to find out more today!
We’re excited to see the growth and implementation of 5G technology in the country.